Since my last botch…

I’ve been working on a couple of models… a 1/700 Space Battleship Yamato from the 1980’s.  Hopefully, I’ll have that done in time for Wonderfest.  I also designed and printed new turret guns for that kit.  You can see them below.

//www.shapeways.com/fragments/product?spin=X3Z2FDMJH

Advertisements

ahh.. Fudge.

Well the decals, gloss coat and weathering and final parts were all together on my B-47. But I needed to do a quick mask and spray of the tip of the vertical fin. So I took my trusty Tamiya tape and masked a quick line…. It wasn’t quite right so I adjusted it…and took off the fin decal with the tape…#$%^&*(*&^%$%^&!!! One of a kind decals. Nuts. Well this ones in the dustbin… and that’s a damn shame because it was looking really sweet. Sometimes I hate this hobby… hah.

Airfix 1/72 A-4C Skyhawk

The Skyhawk is a great little kit,as we’ve become accustomed to from Airfix. Detail is refined with a slightly pebbled surface that looks good under paint. The kit goes together very well with little need for filler. Below you can see the detail on the engine fan face and the engine exhaust… which is buried very far inside the fuselage.
IMG_0671-0

I painted the fan and exhaust silver and gave them a quick wash of Oil paint lamp black thinned with lighter fluid. The lighter fluid dries quick and allows one to move on quickly.IMG_0672-0

I opted to close the speed brakes since unless they are under maintenance, they are usually closed on the ground. Here you can see the fine fit of the parts.IMG_0673-0

Here you can see the fit of the intakes to the fuselage sides. I would say this is the worst fit to be found in the entire kit. The parts needed some careful clean up and there was still a small at the rear of the intake.IMG_0674-0

I took care of the gap with some Vallejo Plastic filler. This is a great tool and made quick work of the gap .IMG_0675-0

The cockpit was nicely detailed and the kit decals were more than sufficient to represent the instrument panels. I applied a thin wash of oil paint to subdue the bright white on the panels. I also used a Pavla resin ejection seat since I had one on hand. The kit seat looks great though too. The Pavla seat did sit a little high in the cockpit though and precludes closing the canopy.IMG_0676-0

IMG_0677-0

IMG_0678-0

Once the fuselage was glued together, the cockpit was masked to spray the IP deck. In fact, I normally spray my entire model black for priming purposes and to start the panel shading.IMG_0679-0

The drop tanks are a little mis-shappen in the middle, but I didn’t bother to try and fix them… under the wing it’s hard to tell there is an issue with them.IMG_0680-0

The TER came from an Academy F-8 Crusader kit. I triedto vary the color of the ordnance for a little variety.IMG_0681

Another shot so that you can tell just how well detailed this kit is… these are the main wheels before the oil wash is applied. IMG_0682

The kit decals went down well with some setting solution. The vortex generators provide an extra obstacle for them to lay down over. IMG_0683

Once the decals were mostly down, I touched up where the decal had torn around the vortex generators.IMG_0684

Images below of the completed kit. I highly recommend picking one up for a relaxing build.IMG_0685

IMG_0686

IMG_0688

IMG_0687

IMG_0691-0

IMG_0689

IMG_0692-0

IMG_0693-0

IMG_0690-0

IMG_0695-0

IMG_0698-0

IMG_0697-0

IMG_0699-0

IMG_0696-0

Shapeways Skylab

So the Skylab shroud arrived and I am thrilled with it. There is only one thing I’d change and that is to put a more positive alignment part at the top of the S-IVb stage under the shroud. Its still good but because I had to break it into two parts in order to fit it into the polishing machine, I should had reinforced that area of the part…and I’ll do that for the 2nd version. But enough…take a look at these parts alongside the kit S-IVb (Note the kit seam). This part was printed in WSF- polished.
20140613-201723-73043164.jpg

20140613-201746-73066438.jpg

20140613-201816-73096160.jpg

20140613-201815-73095757.jpg

20140613-201816-73096574.jpg

20140613-201818-73098004.jpg

20140613-201817-73097634.jpg

20140613-201816-73096992.jpg

20140613-201818-73098355.jpg

To the future and beyond

So I have been back fiddling with the i-19 since the hobby show and wonderfest. I also picked up some stuff from shapeways. It’s the first time I’ve used it and I have to say that it’s incredible! I bought the man in space update parts and they simply blow me away in their detail.

Because learning 3D development was part of my education eons ago, I decided to give my hand a try at making a 3D part. So I built a 3D Skylab shroud for the AMT 1/200 kit.
20140607-095143-35503287.jpg

The reason that it’s split is that the fully stacked skylab and shroud were to big to fit in the polishing machines. by splitting it, I can use the cheapest material and still get a smooth finish. You can buy the shroud for your own use.

I’ll add more when I get the shroud.

A Bit of a Diversion

Swannys Models is having a Great War modeling contest. I decided to throw my hat in the ring and decided to build a zeppelin. I’m building the Imperial German Navy L3, the zeppelin work number LZ-24, an M-class dirigible.

The L3 will go down in history as the first zeppelin to drop bombs on England, thus making it the pioneer of a centuries worth of total war on civilians. It is thus fitting in historical significance for a build, I think.

The first requirement is to post a picture of the kit with some proof of the starting date/time.

20140303-215035.jpg
I used some card stock and used an old drafting trick to equally divide up the rectangle.

20140303-215147.jpg
After about 30 minutes, I had the main portion of the hull completed.

20140303-215243.jpg