Rock Me… (Like a Hurricane)

So this is what I’m up to next PCM’s 1/32 Battle of Britain Hurricane Mk.I.

And look, here’s a build that doesn’t start in the cockpit!

IMG_0554.JPG

Advertisements

1/144 Tsar Bomb

I have had a 1/144 Revel Bear D in the stash for a while. I wanted to build it differently (Natch) and while researching on Al Gore’s invention something called the Tsar Bomb. It’s the colloqial name for the largest atomic weapon ever detonated. The Soviets decided to pop this atom back in the 60’s. It was 50-52 Megatons worth of nuclear energy. (They toned it down to 50% of capability because they didn’t want too much radiation).

I modeled this in 123D and printed it via shapeways. The nose probes are stretched sprue.

2014-10-28 19.33.36_resize 2014-10-28 19.33.51_resize 2014-10-28 19.34.20_resize

 

 

 

Modeling 1LT Dick Winters D-Day C-47: Complete

Stand up! Hook up! Equipment Check! Count off! Stand in the Door!

Go! Go! Go!

So it wasn’t a bad build. I had two issues, the fuselage windows gave me an issue or two… wherein, I glued them in the wrong way…so that the window framing was on the inside. I had to pop those out and redo them. Then the laser printed serial decals silvered on me. I suppose that I could have fixed it but …hey, it’s a hobby.

I did put the para-racks on the bottom so as far as I know, this is the first 100% correct D-day C-47, because I’ve never seen one with them before. I also used baremetal foil to mask the windows…works great but taking the glue off the window caused an issue since I used acrylics for painting….hard to clean without damaging the paint. In any case… on to the pics.

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

Modeling 1LT Winters D-Day C-47: Markings

I used vinyl masks created for me by Joe Osborn at Fireball decals. They were a bit tricky to use because they were hard to get to conform to the forward fuselage, but they turned out OK. So I’m over the hump on this model I think… Just decals for the rest of the markings and then some light weathering and I can seal it all.

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0472.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

Modeling 1LT Winters D-Day C-47: Stripes!

Spent an hour or so masking the Invasion stripes this afternoon. In spite of measuring twice and cutting once, 8mm for the width of the stripes just didn’t want to work correctly. I ended up cutting at 9mm and eyeballing it. I think it came out OK. There are some slight issues on the bottom, but I’m not going to redo it….

There’s a very slight bit of white overspray as well…but once I do final weathering, it’ll disappear.

IMG_0465.JPGIMG_0463.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG

Modeling 1LT Winters D-Day C-47

I painted the Dakota with Vallejo Model Color Black Grey diluted with Windex and a couple of drops of Golden Mediums GAC-200 which enhances the adhesion and firmness of the acrylic paint. If you use the cheap acrylic paints that can be had for a dollar at Hobby Lobby, the GAC-200 is a must add.

After spraying the black grey, I painted the bottom with Vallejo Neutral Grey, and the top with Vallejo Olive Drab. Highlights of the grey were done with grey and ivory, and buff was added to the olive drab to lighten it up.

Next up I need to start masking for the Invasion stripes.

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_0454.JPG