Decals on…

I spent the good part of a couple hours yesterday evening applying decals to the B-47.  They went on incredibly well.. and responded to a little setting solution to snuggle down into panel lines.  I was planning to put the wing walk boundry markings on, but then hesitated because the kit decals were actually missing part of the decal!  On one of the wing walk decals, the part over the fuselage was missing..only on one mind you.  Seems an odd screw up.  So I opted to just not apply them.

IMG_445227216

Back in the saddle…. or how to finish what you started…

After building the very nice Airfix Scooter, I thought I’d try a quick turn around and get something else done. Looking through my stash in the garage, I pulled out an Academy B-47 Stratojet which I last touched in March of 2013!. As I looked at it, I realized that I’d started to mask it for painting. So I decided to take the kit in and finish her up. I’d also obtained a set of decals for her that were from a 2000 modeling show in California. Apparently someone sent me the set so I have a pretty interesting bird to model. B-47’s weren’t known for their colorful markings. I think the last I was looking at this kit I was thinking of a WHIFFER in Australian Naval Reconaissence colors because the Aussies apparently contemplated buying them from the US. Anyhow… here’s the finished paint with the gloss coat on ready for decaling. Note that the Tamiya tape came off after two years without issue…

IMG_0725

Here’s what she should look like..

IMG_0721

Engines Up!

The engines have been masked and mounted to the wings. Once they are dry, I will fill the gaps where the pylons join the wings. Most were decent but the port inner engine mount has a large gap on the outboard side that seemed impervious to dry fitting and trimming.

20130310-130436.jpg

20130310-130514.jpg

Initial Masking

Since the engine pylons fit to the wing is a little less than perfect, I’m trying to affix them before painting. However, the engines need multiple colors on them and masking once they are attached to the wing is asking for trouble. Therefor, I’ve sprayed the metallic gray onto the engine exhaust areas and masking them off so that the overall silver can be sprayed after they are on the wings.

20130309-221528.jpg

CA Party

The wing to fuselage joint on this kit is tight… There was no need for gap filling. However, because the gap is so tight it’s difficult to get a good seam on the top of the wing. I put some CA on the seam and then dropped some baking soda onto the CA to cure it. A light sanding with some nail files knocked the CA/baking soda down quickly. Now onto rescribing the panel lines.

20130225-201722.jpg

Landing gear work-up

I worked on the landing gear this afternoon. Simply cleaned up the parts and sprayed them testors acrylic aluminum color. The tires were painted by hand with Vallejo black-grey. I then gave the parts an oil wash thinned with lighter fluid. I don’t think I’ll bother high-lighting any of the raised detail as the wheels struts aren’t very visible. Pics speak for themselves… Enjoy

20130203-181013.jpg

20130203-181021.jpg

20130203-181028.jpg

20130203-181038.jpg

20130203-181043.jpg

Wheel wells

After gluing the fuselage sides together there is a gap in each of the wheel wells. It’s too big to use conventional putty on and it’s in a location that would be difficult to sand if I filled it with strip styrene.

20130127-132605.jpg
So I rolled up a small batch of white milliput and placed a line of it into the gap, then using a cotton bud dipped in water, I smoothed the milliput into the gap. Once painted, this small correction should be practically invisible.

20130127-132742.jpg